I've said it before and I'll say it again, going to RainCamps and getting to meet AR members face to face is my favorite aspect of my job. To shake a hand or embrace a hug with you is the absolute best.
However....for every sweet there is a little sour? For every triumph a caveat? TRAVELLING!!!!
Gone are the days when people would dress to the nines and look forward to flying. The scene in Catch Me If You Can where the flight attendants and the pilots look perfect and all have smiles is something I have yet to see. Don't get me wrong, there are some seriously cool flight attendants that go out of their way and do it with a smile. There are also some really great people you sit next to....and sometimes not.
A few things I think should go into the Flight Etiquette Handbook should anyone choose to publish one:
- If dude behind you is 7 feet tall, don't recline your seat. Yes, it's your right to do so but think of how uncomfortable it is for him.
- Bring an apple. People will be jealous of your juicy treat while they are eating stale pretzels. Bring floss as said apple will most likely get stuck in your teeth. Please use floss in bathroom and not at your seat.
- Turn the overhead air directly on you. This prevents the sneezes and coughs circulating the plane to land on your pretty face.
- Dress warm! Layers are best as they can be taken off. Being a Seattlite, I usually fly somewhere much warmer and more humid.
- Try not to stare at your neighbor's laptop. Working on planes is a great way to pass the time and whatever they're working on is none of your business.
- If you see a blonde chick struggling to put her rollerbag in the overhead compartment, don't stare....get up and help her.
- Don't blast your iPod to the extreme volume. Some people don't want to rock out to Black Sabbath for 5 hours.
- While I find nothing sexier than an attractive perfume or cologne....don't bathe in it pre-flight. We only have so much Advil.
- Smile!!! A smile goes a long way.
See you up in the air!